Comparative results of knee arthroplasty in patients with gonarthrosis with and without the use of a tourniquet
- 1SI «Institute of Traumatology and Orthopedics of the NAMS of Ukraine», Kyiv, Ukraine
- 2CNE «Consulting and Diagnostic Center» of the Podilsk district Branch № 2, Kyiv, Ukraine
Summary. Today, a significant number of surgeons continue to routinely use a tourniquet in total knee arthroplasty (TKA), although more and more evidence is emerging in favor of performing TKA without a tourniquet. The article reviews the literature on the technology of TKA without a tourniquet, its effectiveness and safety. The results of our own comparative analysis of 311 operated patients with osteoarthritis of the knee are presented on the basis of the State institution «Institute of Traumatology and Orthopedics of the NAMS of Ukraine», which underwent TKA with/without the use of a tourniquet.
- 1. Husted H., Gromov K., Malchau H. et al. (2014) Traditions and myths in hip and knee arthroplasty. Acta Orthop., 85: 548.
- 2. Abdel M.P., Berry J.D. (2019) Current practice trends in primary hip and knee arthroplasties among members of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons: A long-term update. J. Arthroplasry, 34: S24.
- 3. Dennis D.A., Kittleson A.J., Yang C.C. et al. (2016) Does tourniquet use in TKA affects recovery of lower extremity strength and function? A randomized trial. Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res., 474: 69.
- 4. Ejaz A., Laursen A.C., Jakobsen T. et al. (2015) Absence of a tourniquet does not affect fixation of cemented TKA: A randomized RSA study of 70 patients. J. Arthroplasty, 30: 2128.
- 5. Ejaz A., Laursen A.C., Kappel A. et al. (2014) Faster recovery without the use of a tourniquet in total knee arthroplasty. Acta Orthop., 85: 422.
- 6. Kheir M.M., Ziemba-Davis M., Dilley J.E. et al. (2018) Tourniquetless total knee arthroplasty with modern perioperative protocols decreases pain and opioid consumption in women. J. Arthroplasty, 33: 3455.
- 7. Schnettler T., Papillon N., Rees H. (2017) Use of a tourniquet in total knee arthroplasty causes a paradoxical increase in total blood loss. J. Bone Joint Surg. Am., 99: 1331.
- 8. Berry D.J., Bozic K.J. (2010) Current practice patterns in primary hip and knee arthroplasty among members of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons. J. Arthroplasty, 25(6 suppl.): 2.
- 9. Brusalis C.M., Bostrom M.P.G., Richardson S.S. (2018) Has tranexamic acid in total knee arthroplasty made tourniquet use obsolete? HSS J., 14: 338.
- 10. Huang Z., Xie X., Li L. et al. (2018) Intravenous and topical tranexamic acid alone are superior to tourniquet use for primary total knee arthroplasty: A prospective, randomized controlled trial. J. Bone Joint Surg. Am., 99: 2053.
- 11. Herndon C.L., Grosso M.J., Sarpong N.O. et al. (2020) Tibial cement mantle thickness is not affected by tourniquetless total knee arthroplasty when performed with tranexamic acid. Knee Surg. Sports Traumatol. Arthrosc., 28: 1526–1531.
- 12. Liu D., Graham D., Gillies K. et al. (2014) Effects of tourniquet use on quadriceps function and pain in total knee arthroplasty. Knee Surg. Relat. Res., 26: 207.
- 13. Abdei-Salam A., Eyres K.S. (1995) Effects of tourniquet during total knee arthroplasty. A prospective randomized study. J. Bone Joint Surg. Br., 77: 250.
- 14. Tai T.W., Lin C.J., Jou I.M. et al. (2011) Tourniquet use in total knee arthroplasty: A meta-analysis. Knee Surg. Sports Traumatol. Arthosc., 19: 1121.
- 15. Zhang W., Li N., Chen S. et al. (2014) The effects of a tourniquet used in total knee arthroplasty: A meta-analysis. J. Оrthopaedic. Surg. Res., 9: 13.
- 16. Wakankar H.M., Nicholl J.E., Koka R. et al. (1999) The tourniquet in total knee arthroplasty. A prospective, randomized study. J. Bone Joint Surg. Br., 81: 30.
- 17. Parvizi J., Pulido L., Slenker N. et al. (2008) Vascular injuries after total joint arthroplasty. J. Arthropasty., 23: 1115.
- 18. Kumar S.N., Chapman J.A., Rawlins I. (1998) Vascular injuries in total knee arthroplasty. A review of the problem with special reference to the possible effects of the tourniquet. J. Arthroplasty, 13: 211.