Clinical case of Castleman disease with liver and spleen affection
- State Institution «Institute of Blood Pathology and Transfusion Medicine of the NAMS of Ukraine», Lviv, Ukraine
Summary. Castleman disease (angiofollicular hyperplasia of the lymph nodes) is a rare benign lymphoproliferative disease with a risk of transformation into lymphoma. Incidence 1 case per 100 thousand population. There are 4 of clinical and morphological types of the disease: hyaline-vascular local, plasma cell local, multicentric, HHV-8-associated plasmoblastic. The most common among them is the hyaline-vascular type (70% of cases). The article presents our own observation of Castleman disease (hyaline-vascular type) in a patient with enlarged spleen and cytopenia due to hypersplenism. The complexity of diagnosis, the result of surgical treatment (removal of the spleen) and monitoring of the disease for 16 years are highlighted.
- Castleman B., Thowne V.W. (1954) Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital Weekly Clinicopathological Exercises. New Engl. J. Med., 250: 26–30. DOI: 10.1056/NEJM195401072500107
- Castleman B., Iverson L., Menendez V.P. (1956) Localized mediastinal lymphnode hyperplasia resembling thymoma. Cancer, 9(4): 822– 830. DOI: 10.1002/1097-0142(195607/08)9:4<822:aidcncr2820090430>3.0.co;2-4.
- Skiniotis G., Boulanger M.J., Garcia K.C. et al. (2005) Signaling conformations of the tall cytokine receptor gp130 when in complex with IL-6 and IL-6 receptor. Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol., 12(6): 545–551. DOI: 10.1038/nsmb941; PMID: 15895091.
- Moiseev V.S., Martynov A.I., Mukhin N.A. (2018) Internal medicine. V. 2, 3rd ed., Rev. and add. GEOTAR-Media, Moscow, 958 p. (In Rus.).
- Melikyan A.L., Egorova E.K., Kovrigina A.M. et al. (2015) Clinical and morphological features of various variants of Castelmann’s disease. Ther. archive, 87(7): 64–71. (In Rus.).
- Malaeva E.G. (2016) Educational-methodical complex in the discipline “Internal Medicine” for the 6th year. GomGMU, Gomel. (In Rus.).
- Melikyan A.L., Egorova E.K. (2016) Castleman disease (literature review). Oncohematology, 11: 8–20. DOI: 10.17650/1818-8346-2016-11-2-8-20 (In Rus.).
- Opanasenko M.S., Konik B.M., Liskina I.V. et al. (2020) Clinical case of Castleman’s disease. Ukr. Pulmonol. J., 3: 63–67. DOI: 10.31215/2306-4927-2020-109-3-63-67 (In Ukr.).