Features of psychosocial adaptation of medical college students who have experienced psycho-emotional stress
Summary. In order to verify the clinical and statistical characteristics of maladjustment disorders in medical students who underwent psychoemotional stress, on the basis of a basic medical college using a written structured interview, clinical psychopathological and psychometric methods, a continuous sample was examined — 63 students aged 18–43. During the psychometric research, scales of psychological well-being were used (Riff С.D., 1989; adapted by T.D. Shevelenkova, P.P. Fesenko, 2005), asthenic state (Malkova L.D.; adapted by T.G. Chertova based on Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory — ММРI), Leongard — Shmishek questionnaire (Schmieschek H., 1970), integrative test of anxiety (Bizyuk A.P. et al., 2005). When analyzing the data obtained, it was revealed that the specific and most frequent manifestation of neurotic disorders in students subjected to psychoemotional stress is situationally conditioned reactions of mental maladjustment. There was increased fatigue, irritability, emotional tension and lability, affective disorders, nighttime sleep disturbances, headache, and autonomic dysfunctions. The identified violations had their own dynamics and were formed in close connection with stress factors. To reduce the risk of the formation of non-psychotic mental illness in the framework of primary and secondary psychoprophylaxis, longitudinal observation is required.
- 1. Ababkov V.A., Perret M. (2004) Adaptation to stress. Fundamentals of theory, diagnosis, therapy. Speech, St. Petersburg, 83 p. (In Rus.).
- 2. Goldberger L., Breznitz S. (Eds.) (1993) Handbook of stress: Theoretical and clinical aspects (2nd ed.). Free Press.
- 3. Berezin F.B. (1988) Mental and psychophysiological adaptation of a person. Nauka, Leningrad, 267 p. (In Rus.).
- 4. Wasserman L.I., Ababkov V.A., Trifonova E.A. (2010) Coping with stress: theory and psychodiagnostics. Speech, St. Petersburg, 192 p. (In Rus.).
- 5. Wayne A.M. (1997) Clinical aspects of emotional stress. Emotional stress: theoretical and clinical aspects. Volgograd, 138–148 р. (In Rus.).
- 6. Sadock B.J., Sadock V.A., Ruiz P. (2015) Kaplan & Sadock’s synopsis of psychiatry: Behavioral sciences/clinical psychiatry (Eleventh ed.). Philadelphia, Wolters Kluwer.
- 7. Novozhilova M.Yu. (2009) Psychodiagnostics in the system of clinical examination of persons with adjustment disorders due to stressful professional activity. Abstr. thesis … dis. сand. psychol. sci. St. Petersburg, 234 р. (In Rus.).
- 8. Tajalli P., Ganbaripanah A. (2010) The relationship between daily hassles and social support on mental health of university students. Procedia. Social and Behavioral Science, 5: 99–103.
- 9. Proskuryakova L.A. (2012) Health Saving in Higher Education. Student health, (In Rus.).
- 10. Yur’eva L.M., Shornikov A.V., Shirokov O.V., Timofev R.M. (2020) Practical aspects of the mainstreaming of video science from the discipline «Psychiatry, narcology». Modern engineering and innovative technologies, 11(2): 62–68. (In Ukr.).
- 11. Kozhina G.M., Markova M.V., Grinevich E.G., Zelenska K.O. (2011) On the problem of adaptation syndrome of junior students of universities of III–IV levels of accreditation. Arch. Рsychiatr., 4(67): 32–35. (In Rus.).
- 12. Kozhina G.M.,Humeniuk L.M., Zelenska K.O. (2011) Psychoprophylaxis of disorders of adaptation of freshmen to educational activity in a higher educational institution in the conditions of credit-modular system of education. Med. Psychol., 4(24): 78. (In Ukr.).
- 13. Nikolaenko O.A., Gusakova I.V., Omelchenko O.D., Bogomaz O.V. (2017) The level of depression and anxiety among students studying at the Medical University of Ukraine. Juvenis sientia, 2: 13–15. (In Rus.).
- 14. Chaban O.S., Haustova O.O., Trachuk L.E. (2016) Ways to increase the effectiveness of teaching students in the specialty «Medical Psychology». Medical psychology, 1: 3–8. (In Ukr.).
- 15. Gerasimenko L.O. (2018) Psychosocial maladaptation (modern conceptual models). Ukr. Bull. Psychoneurol., 26(1): 62–65. (In Ukr.).
- 16. Skripnikov A.M., Gerasimenko L.O., Isakov R.I. (2016) Psychosocial maladaptation in post-traumatic stress disorder in women. «ASMI» LLC, Poltava, 157 р. (In Ukr.).
- 17. Pinchuk I.Y., Babova K.D., Gozhenko A.I. (Eds.) (2014) Stress and man: medical and psychological care for stress disorders. Kalita Publishing House LLC, Kyiv, 92 p. (In Ukr.).
- 18. Kioseva O.V. (2016) Psychopathological characteristics of the emotional sphere in junior students. Ukr. Bull. Psychoneurol., 24(86): 60–63. (In Ukr.).
- 19. Khaustov М.М. (2019) Psychodiagnostic features of young people with adaptation disorders. ScienceRise. Medical science, 1: 45–47. (In Ukr.).