Possibilities of multispiral computed tomography in the diagnosis of vertebral artery compression syndrome
Summary. Compression syndrome of the vertebral artery is a polyetiological nosology, manifested by a number of clinical symptoms. The aim is to determine the pathology variants and causes of compression of the vertebral artery using multislice computed tomography — angiography. The identified factors of the vertebral artery syndrome were divided into the so-called intravasal (associated with various changes in the vascular wall) and extravasal (associated with changes in the structures of the holes of the transverse processes of the cervical vertebrae). A separate group was assigned to patients with anomalies of the aortic arch or neck tumors, which led to the development of the syndrome of compression of the vertebral artery. The studies carried out made it possible to clarify the clinical diagnoses in patients with vertebral artery compression syndrome in order to choose the optimal method of treatment.
- Barulin A.E., Kurushina OV, Miroshnikova V.V. et al. (2013) Vertebral artery syndrome: modern approaches to diagnosis and treatment. VolgGMU, 4: 130–132.
- Gaevsky Yu.G., Weber V.R., Zakharova V.M. et al. (2019) Ultrasound features of the morphology of the second segment of the vertebral arteries and their hemodynamics. Rad. Diagnostics Ther., 1: 33–38 (https://doi.org/10.22328/2079-5343-2019-10-1-33-38).
- Dibkalyuk S.V., Chernyak V.A., Herzen G.I. (2012) Clinical course and features of diagnosis and spinal artery compression syndrome. Sci. Visn. Uzhhorod Inst., 2 (44): 44–46.
- Zozulya I.S., Nesukai V.G., Belous I.V. et al. (2018) Structural and morphometric characteristics of the vessels of the vertebrobasilar basin and the openings of the transverse processes of the cervical vertebrae according to multispiral computed tomography in patients with osteochondrosis of the cervical spine who underwent a transient ischemic attack. Emergency med., 1: 56–67.
- Zozulya I.S., Nesukai V.G., Loganikhina K.Yu. et al. (2019) A method for determining the presence of dynamic compression of the vertebral artery in segments V1, V2 in patients with circulatory disorders in the vertebrobasilar basin. Bull. № 2, № 131829.
- Kalashnikov V.I. (2007) Vertebral artery syndrome. Therapia, 10: 31–33.
- Kremer Y. (2013) Diseases of the intervertebral discs. MEDpress-inform, Moscow, 472 p.
- Logvinenko A.V. (2016) Anatomical and physiological prerequisites for the development of vertebral artery syndrome. Int. Med. J., 4: 73–76.
- Murashko N.K., Popov O.V., Galusha A.I. (2011) Cervical migraine or spinal artery compression syndrome. The Art of Healing, 2(78): 30–33.
- Popelyansky Ya.Yu. (Ed.) (2008) Orthopedic Neurology (Vertebroneurology): A Guide for doctors. 4th ed. MEDpress-inform, Moscow, 672 p.
- Hofer M. (2011) Computed tomography. Basic guide. Medical literature, Moscow, 232 р.
- Ambali M.P., Jadhav S.D. (2017) Anatomical variations in foramen transversarium of typical cervical vertebrae and its clinical significance. Int. J. Anat. Res., 5(1): 3426–3429. doi.org/10.16965/ijar.2016.494.
- Ausman J.I., Liebeskind D.S., Gonzalez N. et al. (2018) A review of the diagnosis and management of vertebral basilar (posterior) circulation disease. Surg. Neurol. Int., 9: 106. doi: 10.4103/sni.sni_373_17.
- Carvalho V. (2018) Vertebrobasilar stroke. Int. J. Clin. Neurosci. Mental Health, 5(Suppl. 2): L4.
- Choi K.D., Choi J.H., Seo J.D. et al. (2013) Rotational vertebral artery occlusion: mechanisms and long-term outcome. Stroke, 44(7): 1817–1824. doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.113.001219.
- Kutty R.K., Yamada Y., Takizawa K., Kato Y. (2020) Medullary Compression Due to Ectatic Vertebral Artery — Case Report and Review of Literature. J. Stroke Cerebrovasc. Dis., 29(1): 104460. doi.org/10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2019.104460.
- Li Q., Xie P., Yang W.-S. et al. (2019) Vertebral Artery Compression Syndrome. Front. Neurol., 10: 1075. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2019.01075.
- Loganikhina K.Y., Belous I.V. (2017) Поєднання Kommerell’s diverticulum та truncus bicaroticus — випадок з практики. Radiation Diagnostics, Radiation therapy, 3: 88–91.
- Lu T., Chinnadurai P., Anaya-Ayala J.E., Diaz O.M. (2017) DynaCT angiography for the diagnosis of bilateral bow hunter’s syndrome. Interv. Neuroradiol., 23(1): 73–78. doi: 10.1177/1591019916673221.
- Neto A.C.L.N., Bittar R., Gattas G.S. et al. (2017) Pathophysiology and Diagnosis of Vertebrobasilar Insufficiency: A Review of the Literature. Int. Arch. Otorhinolaryngol., 21(3): 302–307. doi: 10.1055/s-0036-1593448.
- Perry J.J., Sharma M. (2019) Computed tomography angiography to identify the cause of a transient ischemic attack versus irradiating patients without cause (or even a TIA). CJEM, 21(3): 313–314. doi: 10.1017/cem.2019.27.
- Pirau L., Lui F. (2020) Vertebrobasilar Insufficiency (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK482259/).
- Vasuki A.K.M., Jamuna M., Nirmaladevi M. et al. (2018) An osteological study of foramen transversarium of cervical vertebrae and its clinical significance. Int. J. Anat. Res., 6(1.2): 4906–4913. doi.org/10.16965/ijar.2017.505.
- Yun S., Lee J.Y., Kwon E. et al. (2020) Compression of both vertebral arteries during neck extension: a new type of vertebral artery compression syndrome. J. Neurol., 267(1): 276–278. doi: 10.1007/s00415-019-09576-7.
- Zibis A., Mitrousias V., Galanakis N. et al. (2018) Variations of transverse foramina in cervical vertebrae: what happens to the vertebral artery. Eur. Spine J., 27(6): 1278–1285. doi.org/10.1007/s00586-018-5523-2.