Biomarker ST2 in cardiovascular pathology
Summary. The results of the analysis of the protein ST2 properties as a diagnostic and prognostic marker were generalized in the review. The pathophysiology of ST2, its role in the left ventricular remodeling, prognosis of cardiovascular and total mortality in myocardial infarction, heart failure were represented. The analysis of ST2 was done both alone and with another biomarkers (NT-fragment of pro-brain natriuretic peptide, growth differentiation factor-15, high sensitive troponin T, C-reactive protein). The role of ST2 in myocardial injury was discussed.
Key words: ST2, pathophysiology, diagnosis and prognosis of adverce outcome.
- Abela M.A. (2014) Biomarker guided approach in heart failure. Malta Med. J., 26(3): 46–51.
- Anand I.S., Rector T.S., Kuskowski M. et al. (2014) Prognostic value of soluble ST2 in the Valsartan Heart Failure Trial. Cirk. Heart Fail., 7: 418–426.
- Bayes-Genis A., Zamora E., de Antonio M. et al. (2013) Soluble ST2 serum concentration and renal function in heart failure. J. Card. Fail., 19: 768–775.
- Boisot S., Beede J., Isakson S. et al. (2008) Serial sampling of ST2 predicts 90-day mortality following destabilized heart failure. J. Card. Fail., 14: 732–738.
- Ciccone M.M., Cortese F., Gesualdo M. et al. (2013) A novel cardiac bio-marker: ST2: a review. Molecules, 18(12): 15314–15328.
- Coglianese E.E., Larson M.G., Vasan R.S. et al. (2012) Distribution and clinical correlates of the interleukin receptor family member soluble ST2 in the Framingham heart study. Clin. Chem., 58: 1673–1681.
- Demyanets S., Speidl V.S., Tentzeris I. et al. (2014) Soluble ST2 and Interleukin-33 in coronary artery disease: relation to disease activity and adverse outcome. Plos One, 9(4): e95055.
- Dieplenger B., Egger M., Haltmayer M. et al. (2014) Increased soluble ST2 predicts long-term mortality in patients with stable coronary artery disease: results from the Ludwigshafen Risk and cardiovascular health study. Clin. Chem., 60: 530–554.
- Dieplenger B., Egger M., Poelz W. et al. (2011) Soluble ST2 is not independently associated with androgen and estragen status in healthy males and females. Clin. Chem. Lab. Med., 49: 1515–1518.
- Dieplenger B., Mueller T. (2015) Soluble ST2 in heart failure. Clin. Chim. Acta., 443: 57–70.
- Dhillon O.S., Narayan H.K., Quinn P.A. et al. (2011) Interleukin 33 and ST2 in non-ST elevation myocardial infarction: comparison with Global Registry of Acute Coronary Events Risk Scoring and NT-proBNP. Am. Hear J., 161: 1163–1170.
- Dupuy A.M., Curinier C., Kuster N. et al. (2016) Multi-marker strategy in heart failure: combination of ST2 and CRP predicts poor outcome. Plos One, 11(6): E0157159.
- Eggers K.M., Armstrong P.W., Califf R.M. et al. (2010) ST2 and mortality in non-ST elevation acute coronary syndrome. Am. Heart J., 159(5): 788–794.
- Grabowski M., Szymanski F.M., Januzzi J. et al. (2009) Prognostic utility of serial measurements of a novel biomarker ST2 in STEMI patients treated by primary PCI. American Heart Association: scientific sessions. Circulation, 120: S808.
- Janussi J.L., Peacock F., Maisel A. et al. (2007) Measurement of the interleukin family member ST2 in patients with acute dyspnea. J. Am. Coll. Cardiol., 50: 607–613.
- Kohli P., Bonaca M.P., Kakkar R. et al. (2012) Role of ST2 in non-ST-elevation acute coronary syndrome in the MERILIN-TIMI 36 trial. Clin. Chem., 58(1): 257–266.
- Ky B., French B., McCloskey K. et al. (2011) High-sensitivity ST2 for prediction of adverse outcomes in chronic heart failure. Circ. Heart Fail., 4: 180–187.
- Lupón J., de Antonio M., Vila J. et al. (2014) Development of a novel heart failure risk tool: the Barcelona bio-heart failure risk calculator (BCN Bio-HF Calculator). PloS One, 9: e85466.
- Lupu S., Agoston-Codea L. (2014) Soluble ST2 in ventricular dysfunction. Adv. Clin. Chem., 69: 139–159.
- Maisel A., Richards A.M., Pasqual-Figal D. et al. (2015) Serial ST2 testing in hospitalized patients with acute heart failure. Am. J. Cardiol., 115: 32B–37B.
- Rehman S.U., Mueller T., Januzzi J.L. et al. (2008) Characteristics of the novel interleukin family biomarker ST2 in patients with acute heart failure. J. Am. Coll. Cardiol., 52: 1458–1465.
- Sabatini M.S., Morrow D.A., Higgins L.J. et al. (2008) Complementary roles for biomarkers of biomechanical strain ST2 and N-terminal prohormone B-type Natriuretic peptide in patients with ST-elevation myocardial infarction. Circulation, 117: 1936–1944.
- Shan K.S., Maisel A. (2014) Novel biomarkers in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. Heart Failure Clin., 10: 471–479.
- Shimpo M., Morrow D.A., Weinsberg E.O. et al. (2004) Serum levels of the interleukin-1 receptor family member ST2 predict mortality and clinical outcome in acute myocardial infarction. Circulation, 109: 2186–2190.
- Socrates T., deFilippi C., Reichlin T. et al. (2010) Interleukin family member ST2 and mortality in acute dyspnoea. J. Intern. Med., 268(5): 493–500.
- Tung Y.-C., Chu P.-H. (2014) Soluble ST2: a novel prognostic biomarker of heart failure. Acta Cardiol. Sin., 30: 501–503.
- Wang T.J., Wollert K.S., Larson M.G. et al. (2012) Prognostic utility of novel biomarkers of cardiovascular stress. The Framingham Heart Study. Circulation, 126: 1596–1604.
- Wang Y.C., Yu C.C., Chiu F.C. et al. (2013) Soluble ST2 as a biomarker for detecting stable heart failure with a normal ejection fraction in hypertensive patients. J. Card. Fail., 19: 163–168.
- Weinberg E.O., Shimpo M., De Keulenaer G.W. et al. (2002) Expression and Regulation of ST2, an Interleukin-1 Receptor Family Member, in Cardiomyocytes and Myocardial Infarction. Circulation, 106(23): 2961–2966.
- Weir R.A.P, Miller A.M., Murphy G.E.J. et al. (2010) Serum soluble ST2: a potential novel mediator in left ventricular and infarct remodeling after acute myocardial infarction. Am. Coll. Cardiol., 55: 243–250.