Actuality of application of neoadjuvant chemotherapy in the treatment of cervical cancer
- 1Kyiv National Cancer Institute
- 2National Academy of Postgraduate Education named after PL Shupika, Kyiv
Summary. Objective is to determine the features of neoadjuvant chemotherapy in treatment of cervical cancer in different clinical groups, depending on the stages of the disease. Methodology. The review of modern literature data of various schemes of neoadjuvant chemotherapy, the combination of the chemotherapy with different surgery techniques and the usage of chemotherapy during pregnancy had been done. For the analytical rewiev we have used the data from Ukrainian and foreign sources: PubMed, Medline, National cancer institute. Results and conclusions. The effectiveness of neoadjuvant chemotherapy with subsequent surgery treatment compared to surgery treatment alone in the initial stages of cervical cancer has been proved and the necessity of using chemotherapy prior to fertility-sparing surgery was indentified. However, the use of intraarterial chemotherapy was marked as ineffective and sufficiently toxic, especially the single course of chemotherapy as in preoperative preparation, even contributed to the additional spread of tumor cells. Efficacy and toxicity of different schemes of neoadjuvant chemotherapy and the possibility of using chemotherapy during pregnancy with the aim of delaying the labor to the period of fetal maturity have been evaluated.
Key words: cervical cancer, neoadjuvant chemotherapy, surgery treatment.
- Vinnytska A.B. (2004) Neoadiuvantna khimioterapiia yak skladova chastyna kombinovanoho likuvannia khvorykh na rak shyiky matky. med. chasopys, 3(41): 95–98 (https://www.umj.com.ua/wp/wp-content/uploads/archive/41/pdf/455_ukr.pdf).
- Lukianchuk O.V., Kuznetsova O.V. (2014) Neoadiuvantna khimioterapiia raku shyiky matky IIV stadii — zaporuka vykonannia radykalnoho khirurhichnoho likuvannia. onkol., 4(16): 57–60.
- Churuksaeva O.N., Kolomiets L.A. (2013) Neoad’yuvantnaya himioterapiya pri lechenii mestnorasprostranennogo raka sheyki matki. onkol. zhurn., 2(56): 18–24.
- Abou-Taleb H.A., Koshiyama M., Matsumura N. et al. (2016) Clinical efficacy of neoadjuvant chemotherapy with irinotecan (CPT-11) and nedaplatin followed by radical hysterectomy for locally advanced cervical cancer. J. Int. Med. Res., 44(2): 346–356.
- Benedetti Panici P., Palaia I., Marchetti C. et al. (2015) Dose-dense neoadjuvant chemotherapy plus radical surgery in locally advanced cervical cancer: a phase II study. Oncology, 89(2): 103–110.
- Bentivegna E., Gouy S., Maulard A. et al. (2016) Oncological outcomes after fertility-sparing surgery for cervical cancer: a systematic review. Lancet Oncol., 17(6): e240–e253.
- Cibula D., Pötter R., Planchamp F. et al. (2018) Correction to: correction to: the European Society of Gynaecological Oncology/European Society for Radiotherapy and Oncology/European Society of Pathology Guidelines for the Management of Patients with Cervical Cancer. Virchows Arch., Jul. 25 [Epub. ahead of print].
- Fruscio R., Villa A., Chiari S. et al. (2012) Delivery delay with neoadjuvant chemotherapy for cervical cancer patients during pregnancy: a series of nine cases and literature review. Gynecol. Oncol., 126(2): 192–197.
- Guo L., Liu X., Wang L. et al. (2015) Outcome of International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics stage IIb cervical cancer from 2003 to 2012: an evaluation of treatments and prognosis: a retrospective study. Int. J. Gynecol. Cancer, 25(5): 910–918.
- Hacker N.F., Berek J.S., Lagasse L.D. et al. (1982) Carcinoma of the cervix associated with pregnancy. Obstet. Gynecol., 59(6): 735–746.
- Islam S., Mukhopadhyay L., Howells R. (2012) Neo-adjuvant chemotherapy and radical surgery for stage 1B cervical cancer in pregnancy. J. Obstet. Gynaecol., 32(2): 191–192.
- Kobayashi Y., Akiyama F., Hasumi K. (2006) A case of successful pregnancy after treatment of invasive cervical cancer with systemic chemotherapy and conization. Gynecol. Oncol., 100(1): 213–215.
- Maneo A., Chiari S., Bonazzi C., Mangioni C. (2008) Neoadjuvant chemotherapy and conservative surgery for stage IB1 cervical cancer. Gynecol. Oncol., 111(3): 438–443.
- Marana H.R., de Andrade J.M., da Silva Mathes A.C. et al. (2001) Chemotherapy in the treatment of locally advanced cervical cancer and pregnancy. Gynecol. Oncol., 80(2): 272–274.
- Palaia I., Pernice M., Graziano M. et al. (2007) Neoadjuvant chemotherapy plus radical surgery in locally advanced cervical cancer during pregnancy: a case report. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol., 197(4): e5–e6.
- Ramirez P.T., Frumovitz M., Pareja R. et al. (2018) Phase III randomized trial of laparoscopic or robotic radical hysterectomy vs. abdominal radical hysterectomy in patients with early-stage cervical cancer: LACC trial (https://gyncan.org/files/4349/SGO%20LACC%20Presentation%20March%202018.pdf).
- Robova H., Halaska M.J., Pluta M. et al. (2014) Oncological and pregnancy outcomes after high-dose density neoadjuvant chemotherapy and fertility-sparing surgery in cervical cancer. Gynecol. Oncol., 135(2): 213–216.
- Salihi R., Leunen K., Moerman P. et al. (2017) Neoadjuvant weekly paclitaxel-carboplatin is effective in stage I–II cervical cancer. Int. J. Gynecol. Cancer, 27(6): 1256–1260.
- Salihi R., Leunen K., Van Limbergen E. et al. (2015) Neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by large cone resection as fertility-sparing therapy in stage IB cervical cancer. Gynecol. Oncol., 139(3): 447–451.
- Takatori E., Shoji T., Takada A. et al. (2016) A retrospective study of neoadjuvant chemotherapy plus radical hysterectomy versus radical hysterectomy alone in patients with stage II cervical squamous cell carcinoma presenting as a bulky mass. Onco. Targets Ther., 9: 5651–5657.
- Ujihira T., Ota T., Kusunoki S. et al. (2016) Outcome of neoadjuvant intra-arterial chemotherapy and radical hysterectomy for treatment of bulky stage IB to stage IIB uterine cervical cancer: can postoperative irradiation be avoided? Int. J. Gynecol. Cancer, 26(7): 1258–1263.
- Weisz B., Schiff E., Lishner M. (2001) Cancer in pregnancy: maternal and fetal implications. Hum. Reprod. Update, 7(4): 384–393.
- Yan H., Liu Z., Fu X. et al. (2016) Long-term outcomes of radical vaginal trachelectomy and laparoscopic pelvic lymphadenectomy after neoadjuvant chemotherapy for the IB1 cervical cancer: a series of 60 cases. Int. J. Surg., 29: 38–42.
- Yin M., Zhang H., Li H. et al. (2012) The toxicity and long-term efficacy of nedaplatin and paclitaxel treatment as neoadjuvant chemotherapy for locally advanced cervical cancer. J. Surg. Oncol., 105(2): 206–211.
- Yoshino K., Hosoi A., Osuga K. et al. (2016) Single-dose intra-arterial neoadjuvant chemotherapy while waiting for radical hysterectomy for stage IB–IIB cervical cancer. Clin. Oncol., 4(6): 1068–1072.