Changes of laboratory indicators in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease on the background of prediabetes under the influence of complex treatment
Summary. Laboratory changes in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) on the background of prediabetes has been evaluated, and also studied the feasibility of treatment, whiсh included omega-3-polyunsaturated fatty acids and essential phospholipids. 55 patients with NAFLD against the background of pre-diabetes aged 40 to 75 years has been examined. Modification of lifestyle was recommended to all patients as a basic treatment. In addition, the patients were prescribed essential phospholipids in 2 capsules 3 times a day and omega-3-polyunsaturated fatty acids 1000 mg per day (n=28, group 1) or rosuvastatin 10 mg per day (n=27, group 2). The effectiveness of the treatment was evaluated in 3 months, and the long-term outcomes were evaluated in 12 months. Under the influence of the prescribed treatment, a hypolipidemic effect was observed in both groups, but a significant decline in the activity of alanine aminotransferase and aspartate aminotransferase occurred only under the influence of a combination of essential phospholipids and omega-3-polyunsaturated fatty acids. The described results allow to recommend this drug combination in patients with NAFLD and concomitant pre-diabetes.
Key words: non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, pre-diabetes, dyslipidemia, essential phospholipids, omega-3-polyunsaturated fatty acids.
- Argo C.K., Loria P., Caldwell S.H., Lonardo A. (2008) Statins in liver disease: a molehill, an iceberg, or neither? Hepatology, 48(2): 662–669.
- Basu P.P., Shah N.J., Aloysius M.M., Brown Jr. R.S. (2014) Effect of Vitamin E and Alpha Lipoic Acid in Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Open-Label, Prospective Clinical Trial (VAIN Trial). Open J. Gastroenterol., 4: 199–207.
- Berlanga A., Guiu-Jurado E., Porras J.A., Auguet T. (2014) Molecular pathways in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Clin. Exp. Gastroenterol., 7: 221–239.
- Dajani A., AbuHammour A. (2016) Treatment of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: Where do we stand? an overview. Saudi J. Gastroenterol., 22(2): 91–105.
- Di Minno M.N., Russolillo A., Lupoli R. et al. (2012) Omega-3 fatty acids for the treatment of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. World J. Gastroenterol., 18(41): 5839–5847.
- EASL/EASD/EASO (2016) EASL-EASD-EASO Clinical Practice Guidelines for the management of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. J. Hepatol., 64(6): 1388–1402.
- Ganesh S., Rustgi V.K. (2016) Current Pharmacologic Therapy for Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Clin. Liver Dis., 20(2): 351–364.
- Gundermann K.J., Gundermann S., Drozdzik M., Mohan Prasad V.G. (2016) Essential phospholipids in fatty liver: a scientific update. Clin. Exp. Gastroenterol., 9: 105–117.
- Newsome P.N., Cramb R., Davison S.M. et al. (2018) Guidelines on the management of abnormal liver blood tests. Gut, 67(1): 6–19.
- Padma L., Mukaddam Q., Trailokya A. (2013) An observational study of Essentiale-L in the treatment of patients with fatty liver disease. Ind. J. Clin. Pract., 23: 735–739.
- Patel P.J., Hayward K.L., Rudra R. et al. (2017) Multimorbidity and polypharmacy in diabetic patients with NAFLD: Implications for disease severity and management. Medicine (Baltimore), 96(26): e6761.
- Stepanov Yu.M. (2016) The use of essential phospholipids for the treatment of fatty liver disease. Gastroenterology, 4(62): 58–64.